Well, it appears that our lovely fall weather has finally arrived.
The cooler days and nights have left me wanting more than ever to get back out into the garden. However, a visit to a local nursery left me puzzled. No plants available? We need to be planting! Just in case anyone has told you folks along the Gulf Coast that it’s too late to plant, let me set the record straight. We have plenty of things to do right now! Here’s a list of some of the vegetables and herbs that you can be planting right now.
- brussels sprouts
- chinese cabbage
- mustard greens
- onions: bunching and short day varieties
- swiss chard
Herbs for winter growing:
- sweet marjoram
Flowers for winter growing:
- English daisies
So, get out there and plant something! You can still have a beautiful winter garden. Even though the skies may be gray (sometimes) during the winter, keep up your spirits with a lovely bit of earth!
- Calcium Rich Foods for Bone Health: Got Greens? (eatdrinkbetter.com)
- Edible Plants That You Can Grow in Autumn and Winter (inhabitat.com)
- 2. The Unexpected Swiss (chard, that is) (growingitforward.wordpress.com)
- Winter greens pack flavor and nutrition wallop: Recipes for cooking with collards, kale, chard, turnips, mustard plants (denverpost.com)